YOGA EXERCISES FOR MUSICIANS [continued from Part 3]
Standing: Roots and Inspiration
The vertical zero point is called Tadasana (Mountain Pose). Let’s give Mountain Pose a try:
1. Stand, feet hip width apart, knees relaxed. Your navel moves gently back towards your spine, tailbone slightly tilted towards the front of your body so that it releases like a plumb line towards the Earth. Eyes are relaxed yet focused on a point in front of you. The crown of your head broadens and floats gently upward. Shoulders are relaxed.
2. Breathe in. Breathe out. Awareness of your breath deepens. Notice what you feel in your body. Imagine that your spine is the central channel of energy that runs through your body/being. It connects the sky and the earth through you.
3. Feel your feet. Feel your energy move downward, towards the core of the Earth.
4. Notice the crown of your head. Let it float upward. Feel your connection to the sky and the whole. As your feet release into the ground, the Earth meets you. A wave of energy flows up through your body towards the crown of your head.
5. Inhale, draw energy through the crown of your head, through your spine, into your body/being.
6. Exhale. Allow this energy to fill your entire being.
7. Continue breathing in and out this way, feeling rooted and inspired.
I will conclude this series next week with an asana flow that serves as your personal gym. In the meantime, the latest issue of Parvati Magazine is now live, on the theme of “Charm”.
Many of us seek a little magic in our lives, whether it be in something that adds sparkle to our wardrobe, or in the toe-tingling connection we have with someone who brightens our day, or in the zest we hope to embody that helps us to win others over.
But when faced with things that shimmer, we must remember that the difference between a gem and a trinket, between genuine engagement and hiding from the truth, lies in our ability to wisely discern between that which is eternal and that which is a passing, temporal fancy.
In the “Charm” issue, you will read about the power of charm in spiritual, fitness and wellness journeys, the history of charm jewellery, the magic in Frozen and in The Mists of Avalon, the power of tapping into your team’s strengths in business, and more. May these articles serve to inspire you.
Enjoy the gift of this day,